4.29.2011

38th Annual American Birkebeiner

As I reflect on 2010 Birkie and look at our goals it is hard to believe that the 2011 Birkie has come and gone!!! As with most things in life it just seems to fly by....I read through last years blog and have to say we met Sportel and I's three goals..One, we did not finish all the beer in the house the night before the race...Two, we actually got up early enough to make it to the start for all three of us to start in our perspective waves...and Three,yes we had a GREAT time and all did better than our previous race!!!

This year we finally got our buddy Mike to give the Birkie a shot too and I must say he had a great first go at it for not getting much training in!! We had a real house/cabin full this year as more friends and family joined us....It was Ryan, Amy, Sully and their boxer- Mesa....My brother, his wife Sherie, and their husky-Sage....My mom and dad, Bill and Bonnie...friends Mike and Sascha Mansson..and we also had Kevin Gorman and Bert Hinkley(friends from Bend) with us too...Kevin owns Webcyclery/Webskis out of Bend, Oregon....Bert works for Kevin and they were at the Birkie for their first time too to set up a stand and promote Solda Wax as they are the sole distributors for the Italian Ski Wax and it was great exposure for them...Check them out at www.webcyclery.com.

With so many folks with us it was good that we had a huge cabin rented....It was called the Big McKenzie Lighthouse and it was a beautiful place with a wonderful setting...The only problem was we were a little further away from Hayward/Cable than we wanted but it worked out just fine....If you are ever in that area, any time of year it is a great rental, and can be found at VRBO #208248...


This years race was a whole new challenge...It was way colder than the previous few years races...I believe at the start it was in the negative single digits....and by the end it had only warmed up to positive single digits....During the race the participants clearly were showing that the cold weather was effecting them....Lots of folks dressed wrong and dropped out, many waxed wrong and dropped out, there were fewer crowds on the side cheering us on, and there were few conversations between skiers as it was all out survival mode....I know myself I clearly was struggling with the cold too as my gloves were frozen solid, my hat was like a nice ice cube sitting up their freezing my fading hairline, and my beard was frozen solid with about 2 inch icicles hanging from it....

The race as usual was a great mental and physical challenge...I was not so worried about finishing it as I was worried about getting frostbite...I saw plenty of blistered ears, noses, and cheeks that were being eaten away by the cold weather...Luckily none of us were frostbitten...just frozen ass cold!!!

Well, I am already looking forward to next years race as it is 302 days away.....I must say my only goal is to continue to have fun with family and friends and continue to finish in good time....Last year I was in Wave 4 and finished in 2 hours 52min...This year I was in Wave 2 and finished in 2 hours and 48 min....I am happy with that and cannot wait for next years race!!! One of these years we will get some more action shots...Hope you enjoy the pics...


Mike, myself, Sully, and Sportel in the basement waxing skis...



Mike, all finished and admiring his shining bases...All ready for the challenge!!

Sportel throwing down the "yuppie crack."


Next step...and we are almost finished with our endless layers of different waxes...It was nice to have a wax guru, Bert, to give us a few tips. He posts online ski wax advice for races all over the world and we had him at our disposal...A real treat it was to have Bert and Kevin there with us..



Here, my mom(looking 100% better than last year), Sully, my brother Ryan, and dad enjoying a beer..


The finish line, family and friends watching as the three of us finish...


Myself, Sully, and Sportel....As you can see it was a cold race and the beards were frosty...I had finished a little before Ryan and I was bundled up and warm by this time....As you can see Ryan is ready to change, eat, and enjoy some much deserved hot chocolate and beer!! Someday I am sure little Sully will be beating us to the finish line..


Sportel and I by the cool ice sculpture downtown Hayward...


Cheers to life in general and I look forward to next years challenge

No comments: