6.14.2011

A few more books under the belt....

I recently finished some books that I thought I would share with family and friends. I love reading as all my friends/family can tell and here are a few more that I recently got under my belt...To me reading is like a new day in life, you are always learning something from each sentence and paragraph that is written....Similar to how each day we live, we gain some knowledge useful for some aspect in in our life...

 
 The first book I read I had no intentions of reading as I have been on a book purchasing restraint initiated by my wonderful wife, Molly...and this book happen to be sitting around so I gave it a shot...It is Stieg Larssons first of his trilogy, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Like I said, I had no intention of reading these novels as I was under the impression they were "chick" books..I was definitely wrong...The 500+ pages cruised by as I was sucked into this book like a strong rip tide...After I read it I watched all three of the movies in a row on Netflix...Something I am not proud of (watching three movies in a row) or plan on doing again as my ass was sore after 6+ hours of watching movies..But I loved it and do not regret it...Anyone that is going to read this will love his writing and the twisted stories he tells!!

     The second book I recently finished was Shop Class As Soulcraft, by Matthew B. Crawford...It is part shop talk and part philosophy..It reminded me of my days in Bozeman, taking philosophy classes at MSU..It also had challenging vocabulary that was a little out of my comfort zone and sending me to the dictionary..It felt like I was listening to my brother(Ryan) as his verbose presentation of speaking is similar to Crawford's. One aspect I really liked was his praise for craftsmanship..I am a true believer in quality as is the author...In all aspects of life I am seeking more quality, less quantity!! I will leave you with a few sentences from the authors wonderfully written book.

" The sense that your judgements are becoming truer is part of the experience of being fully engaged in what you are doing; it is a feeling of joining a world that is independent of yourself, with the help of another who is further along." p. 207, Crawford.

"To live wakefully is to live in full awareness of this, our human situation. To live well is to reconcile ourselves to it, and try to realize whatever excellence we can. For this some economic conditions are more favorable than others. When the conception of work is removed from the scene of its execution, we are divided against one another, and each against himself. For thinking is inherently bound up with doing, and it is in rational activity together with others that we find our peculiar satisfaction. " p. 208, Crawford.

Cheers to good reading...On to the next book!!

1 comment:

3Ms +1N said...

ha! I think it's quite impressive you sat for 6 hours to watch all 3 movies...
crazy! :) ha haa!

(love Molly's book buying ban.. I myself have had to instill yarn buying bans...)