9.20.2011

Adding to my views on Life....

I recently read through a few more books that added to my angles on life's philosophy....Somehow I always seem to run across folks that recommend books that I loved....Here were my most recent two.


The Edge of Never by William A. Kerig a suspenseful book about skiing and the small group of very skilled skiers out there that lay it all on the line to live, play, and enjoy the ski/mountaineering lifestyle. I have been a lifelong alpine and Nordic skier so I really enjoyed this book, which is now a film too, check out www.theedgeofnever.com.   I have been lucky enough over the years to have met a few of these characters in this book so it made it that much more interesting to read! This is one of dozens of ski/mountaineering books that I have wanted to read for awhile now and I definitely recommend it..As always I like to throw a few lines in from the book..Besides all the great skiing that was described in this book it all comes down to lines like this that mean the most to me. On a wall in Kye Peterson's room there was a poster on the wall and it had a few bullet points to live life by:

"1. Help your mother, she loves you." I would say your father too.
"2.Have good manners and be polite."
"3. Be nice to you friends and others, you never know when you may need them."
"4.Value what you have now, you many not have it tomorrow."
"5. Look to the future, live the present."
p. 30, The Edge of Never.
Hope you enjoy this adventurous book..




The second book I recently finished was by one of my favorite authors David James Duncan...A native Oregonian who found his way to Montana and has made it home. Years ago I fell in love with his novels The River Why and The Brothers K.  This book is a bunch of short stories and essays by Duncan....They are filled with all kinds of piss and vinegar that you surely will enjoy if you enjoyed his previous novels. There are too many lines and points in this book to pass along...But I will say besides all of Duncan's thoughts I really enjoyed learning about Ryokan, a Zen master who wrote many poems or non poems as he describes them. Cheers to some more good reads....


Monty J. Nelson Copyright.

No comments: